Wireless access to Internet and e-mail resources via the OSU Network is
available to any user with an OSU ONID account. Current OSU Students, Faculty, Staff,
Emeritus and Partners/Associates who have an ONID account can connect to the OSU Wireless Network
Currently all parts of the Peavy/Richardson complex, the Forestry spaces
in the Oak Creek Building, and the main conference spaces in FSL are covered by the OSU wireless network.
If you notice that the signal is absent in some parts of the building, please
contact Forestry Computing Helpdesk in PVY 222.
- A laptop computer running Windows (98, ME, 2000 or XP), Mac OS 9.x or
10.x (English versions only).
- An internal WI-FI 802.11b compliant Wireless LAN Card or a PCMCIA Wireless
- Your Wireless card hardware (MAC) address.
For tips on how to get your laptop's wireless address and configure
your laptop for wireless visit here
- You can access the OSU network via OSU_Access - easier to setup but not secure so best
practices suggest not accessing any password protected resources - or via OSU_Secure - which
involves a bit more effort to setup but access is secure and provides full access to all
campus resources. If you are unable to setup OSU_Secure, the Computing Helpdesk in Peavy
can help you setup equivalent access via the wireless network you'll see called Forestry.
- When you are connected via OSU_Secure (or Forestry), your access to network resources is equivalent to
being on the wired campus network (though, network speeds will be slower). Those with Forestry
Computing accounts can access network disk space, shared network printers, and Forestry software
- Full instructions for setting up access to OSU_Secure can
be found here: http://oregonstate.edu/net/wireless/wpa/
Follow the How to setup... link for your operating system.
- Once you connect to OSU_Secure or OSU_Access, open a browser
window, IE or Firefox, and you will automatically be
routed to a page to register any computer not already
You can choose temporary or permenant registration,
- At the bottom of the page, enter your ONID
credentials to temporarily register this
device for 24 hours, or
- Click the link, "Register Permanently"
to go to Maintain.oregonstate.edu with your ONID credentials and register your computer's
unique wireless card address.
This FAQ provides additional information if
NOTE: We highly recommend that you choose the link to register for PERMANENT
access to the network instead of logging in for TEMPORARY access.
If you are having problems, you can find troubleshooting tips here or
contact OSU Computing Helpdesk here
The Forestry Computing Helpdesk is Supported by Forestry Computing
Fees. Helpdesk support for personal computers is limited to walk-up questions only
unless you’ve contracted for support on your computer.
- Here you can find information about Forestry Computing Resources policies
concerning non-OSU/Partner-owned computers on the Forestry Network.
- For more information on the OSU wireless network, please, visit